A non-profit that focuses on dangerous children's products has named their worst toys this holiday season.
World Against Toys Causing Harm's (W.A.T.C.H.) website says that they inform "the public about the dangers present in many toys, children’s products, and recreational activities. Working towards making the world a safer place for children by preventing unnecessary injuries and deaths, W.A.T.C.H. encourages a more responsible marketplace while increasing consumers’ awareness about hazardous children’s products."
The organization has released their "10 worst toys" for 2020 and added the importance this year as more kids are spending time at home playing with toys during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Here is the "10 worst toys" list they released for 2020:
- Calico Critters Nursery Friends - choking hazard warning (W.A.T.C.H. cites from packaging)
- Toysmith Missile Launcher - choking hazard warning & instructions to not aim at people or animals (W.A.T.C.H. cites from packaging)
- Marvel Avengers Vibranium Power FX Claw - caution included to not swing at people or animals (W.A.T.C.H. cites from packaging)
- Jellycat Gloria Owl - not for children under 12 months as coarse fabric may shred (W.A.T.C.H. cites from packaging)
- Jakks WWE Jumbo Superstar Fists - Adult supervision needed and not meant to be used as a protective device (W.A.T.C.H. cites from packaging)
- Alex-Brands Scientific Explorer Sci-Fi Slime - Warning on chemicals that may be harmful is misused (W.A.T.C.H. cites from packaging)
- Amax Group The Original Boomerang Interactive Stunt UFO - can cause damage to user, keep hands, hair and loose clothing away from propeller (W.A.T.C.H. cites from packaging)
- Moose Toys Boom City Racers Starter Pack - Don't play close to ear or aim at eyes or face (W.A.T.C.H. cites from packaging)
- JC Toys Group My Sweet Love Lots to Love Babies Minis - (W.A.T.C.H. cites no packaging warning but claims feeding set that comes with toy has choking hazard items)
- Hasbro/Disney Star Wars Mandalorian Darksaber - Warning to not swing at people or poke or jab people or animals (W.A.T.C.H. cites from packaging)
On Tuesday The Toy Association released a statement on W.A.T.C.H's "10 worst toys" list.
In part they said:
""Each year, W.A.T.C.H.'s dangerous toys list comes out right around holiday shopping time, needlessly frightening parents and caregivers with misinformation. By law, all toys sold in the United States must meet 100+ rigorous safety tests and standards."
The Association reminds parents and caregivers to always purchase toys from reputable stores and online sellers they know and trust. Toys sold by legitimate and known sellers are tested for compliance with the U.S.’s strict toy safety standards, which include stringent limits for lead and other chemicals, a highly effective small parts regulation developed with the help of pediatricians, as well as requirements to ensure sturdiness and reliability of toys, among many other requirements."