CHESAPEAKE, Va. - One person was pulled out of a home that caught fire in the 2200 block of Ardmore Avenue Monday night.
Officials received a call at 9:30 p.m. and arrived to the scene at 9:35 p.m. Firefighters were told en-route that one victim may still be inside.
Engine Company 2 found the house heavily involved in fire upon arrival. The crew began to look for victims once they entered the house.
35-year-old Justin Louis Peirson was found unresponsive needed resuscitation efforts. A second person was able to escape, but needed to be treated for smoke inhalation.
Both were transported to local emergency rooms.
Overnight, officials said Peirson was pronounced dead at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.
The fire was called under control at 10:02 p.m.
According to the Chesapeake Fire Marshal's Office, they concluded the fire originated in a front bedroom and was caused by careless disposal/use of smoking materials (cigarettes) near combustibles.
The fire will be ruled accidental.
Chesapeake firefighters are working the scene of a residential structure fire in the 2200 block of Ardmore Avenue. One victim removed from the structure and another being treated with smoke inhalation. Media staging will be at Chesapeake Avenue and Chevy St.— Chesapeake Fire Dept (@ChesapeakeFire) September 7, 2021