Students evacuate after dorm fire at Norfolk State University

Posted at 12:36 AM, Mar 25, 2022
and last updated 2022-03-25 13:54:51-04

NORFOLK, Va. - Hundreds of students were forced out of their dorms after a fire at Norfolk State University late Thursday night.

Authorities recieved a call about the incident around 11 p.m.

The incident happened on the rooftop of Babbette B. Smith North Hall, located at 900 Park Avenue.

The Norfolk Fire Department said the fire was an electrical fire and was quickly extinguished.

No students were injured, but over 100 students from the dormitory had to evacuate. Those evacuated students have been relocated until the water damage is cleaned.

According to a NSU spokesperson, there have been no reports of major damage except from the sprinkler system turning on.

As of 1 p.m., units are on scene at the dorm because an alarm keeps sounding. Students are still displaced, and NSU will let them know when they can enter the dorm again.

Stay with News 3 for updates.