VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - A Virginia Beach apartment building caught fire Sunday afternoon, damaging several apartments.
Virginia Beach Fire crews were on scene of a fire at an Indian Lakes apartment building engulfed in flames. Officials say the call came in at 4:37 p.m.
According to officials, a total of 24 apartments were involved with ten having severe damage and 14 with moderate smoke and water damage, according to officials. Officials say 16 units are uninhabitable and the Red Cross has been contacted to assist those displaced.
The fire was under control at 5:16 p.m. and marked out at 5:53 p.m. A 19-year-old male was taken to an area hospital with a smoke inhalation issue after going door to door notifying residents of the fire.
The fire has been deemed accidental and was because of improperly discarded fireplace ashes, officials said.
Officials are still working on the total number of people displaced.