News

Actions

Virginia Supreme Court denies appeals for 2 men involved in beating of Suffolk native during 2017 Charlottesville rally

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 11:03 PM, Aug 09, 2020
and last updated 2020-08-09 23:03:36-04

RICHMOND, Va. - The Supreme Court of Virginia denied the appeals for two men who were convicted of malicious wounding for their roles in the beating of Deandre Harris in a Charlottesville parking garage during the August 2017 “Unite the Right” rally.

Attorney General Mark R. Herring and his team denied Jacob Scott Goodwin’s petition for appeal last week and denied Alex Michael Ramos’ petition for appeal in early May.

“The violence, mayhem, injury, and death caused at the hands of the racists and white supremacists who descended on Charlottesville for the Unite the Right rally can never be forgotten, but we can make sure that the individuals who broke the law or incited violence are brought to justice,” said Attorney General Herring. “My team and I will do everything in our power to combat this white supremacist violence that we continue to see in the Commonwealth, and I will not hesitate to hold these racists and white supremacist accountable when they act on their hate.”

The Supreme Court of Virginia said, “Upon review of the record in this case and consideration of the argument submitted in support of the granting of an appeal, the Court refuses the petition for appeal.”

Harris, a Suffolk native, says he was attacked when he headed into a parking garage near the police station.

"As I fall down I'm getting beat by poles and signs and people are hitting me and kicking me," said Harris. "I got eight staples in my head, I got a cut [above my eyebrow], a busted lip, I broke my wrist, (I have) a chipped tooth."

Goodwin was sentenced to serve eight years in prison and Ramos was sentenced to serve six years for their roles in the beating of Deandre Harris.