News

Actions

Person dies after residential fire breaks out in Newport News

Screenshot 2022-03-22 084735.png
Posted at 8:50 AM, Mar 22, 2022
and last updated 2022-03-24 17:06:38-04

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – A person died following a house fire in Newport News early Tuesday morning.

At 4:02 a.m., firefighters with the Newport News Fire Department responded to a carbon monoxide alarm in the 1400 block of Waltham Lane. While investigating the alarm, a fire was discovered in a neighboring town home.

Firefighters entered the home to find a fire on the first floor and an unresponsive victim.

Crews rescued the victim, who died at the scene.

Fire officials say the fire, which originated in the kitchen, appears to be an accident.

Investigators believe a working smoke alarm alerted the victim to the fire, but they were unable to get out of the house.

On Thursday, the fire department identified the victim as 36-year-old Mia Evans, a Navy veteran who was working as a registered nurse in the area. Her dog also died during the fire.

"The Newport News Fire Department is deeply saddened by the loss and expresses its deepest condolences to Ms. Evans’ family and friends," NNFD said in a statement.

There is no further information.

The Newport News Fire Department encourages all to have a working smoke detector in their homes, placed inside bedrooms, outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home. Everyone should also have a fire escape plan.

NNFD provides free smoke alarms by calling smoke alarm hotline at 757-975-5454 or by visiting its website here. The department is planning a fire safety walk in the Huntington Pointe neighborhood on Friday, March 25 at 1 p.m.