If you're working from home during the COVID-19 outbreak, take the time you've saved on a commute and beef up your computer security.
Experts say hackers are targeting home offices for valuable information.
According to CNET, there are a few steps you can take to beef up your home office security:
- Keep software updated: It will fix security flaws to essentially change the locks on hackers.
- Strengthen personal security: Install an anti-virus and ask your company about a VPN.
- Use two-factor authentication: Adds an extra layer of protection beyond a username and password.
- Avoid phishing scams: Keep your guard up against suspicious messages.
"Make sure you're checking any emails you get that they are legitimate. Don't follow any suspicious looking links or emails right now," said Michael Oglesby with True Digital Security.
The FBI also has some things to keep in mind:
- If you don't recognize an email sender, don't click attachments or links in that email.
- Don't provide important personal information in response to an email or robocall.
- Verify web addresses to make sure they're legitimate.
- Check for misspellings or wrong domains within a link.