Man charged with second-degree murder, child neglect after York Co. shooting leaves man dead, 4-year-old boy hospitalized

York Co. 2900 George Washington Memorial Highway double shooting (July 23)
York Co. 2900 George Washington Memorial Highway double shooting (July 23)
Posted at 9:14 PM, Jul 23, 2021
and last updated 2021-07-24 22:33:38-04

YORK Co., Va. - One person is in custody after a double shooting left a man dead and a 4-year-old boy injured in the 2900 block of George Washington Memorial Highway early Friday evening.

The York Poquoson Sheriff's Office says just after 6 p.m., deputies received a call for shots fired and then another call about two people who had been shot.

A 44-year-old man, Floyd Lee James Jr., and a 4-year-old boy were taken to the hospital, where James was pronounced dead.

The 4-year-old was reported to be in stable condition with non-life-threatening injuries.

The suspect, 33-year-old Adrian Vonshae Pope, was taken to the Virginia Peninsula Regional Jail and charged with second-degree murder, using a firearm in the commission of a felony, shooting in a public place, destruction of property, child neglect, and reckless handling of a firearm.

Gayle, a neighbor of Pope who did not want to show her face on camera, says she witnessed Pope shooting James and the 4-year old boy.

"He started shooting and I grabbed my grandson and I pulled him down. He didn’t even realize he shot his son."

Gayle says Floyd James is the boyfriend of the boy’s mother, in which Pope shares a child with. She says the two got into an argument when the mother was picking up their child from Pope’s home.

"Adrian was coming out the house and they were having a dispute or argument. I guess Floyd thought it was over with and he walked back over to the car and Adrian went into his house, got the keys to his truck, and went to the truck and got his gun and started shooting."

Neighbors told News 3's Leondra Head they saw the 33-year-old fire shots and some of those shots hit the trashcans next door.

"We were ducked down beside the car when he started shooting. I didn’t even know the car was hit until the cops got here and were investigating everything," Gayle says as she points to the bullet dents in her car.

According to authorities, James later died at the hospital and the 4-year old boy is in stable condition with non-life-threatening injuries.

"It was the fire department that came in and he had started doing CPR on Floyd and he asked who was the shooter? Adrian was walking back to the house and raised his hand said me, I shot him.”

Gayle says it’s a senseless crime that could have been avoided.

"You were shooting around these kids. You weren’t even thinking about the next person. You weren’t thinking about anyone around you. He just opened fire."

Stay with News 3 for updates.