NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - Any time there's winter weather, it's important to prepare your home.
Caleb Haney with Worley's Home Services gave News 3 these tips and tricks to make sure you're ready:
- Leave one faucet with a drip to prevent pipes freezing.
- Leave cabinet doors open to allow warm air to get to the pipes to prevent pipes freezing.
- Tie a towel around your outside water spigot to prevent freezing.
- Turn your thermostat to a stable temperature and avoid going up or down by several degrees to prevent wear and tear on your furnace.
- Replace filters on your HVAC system to allow the system to run efficiently.
- If your power goes out, preserve heat inside the home by putting a towel at the base of the door, or put painter's tape along the seam of the door to keep cold air out.