Arrest warrant: Codi Bigsby father admits to leaving children home alone on 'several occasions'

Cory Bigsby .png
Posted at 8:34 AM, Feb 04, 2022
and last updated 2022-02-08 08:00:37-05

HAMPTON, Va. - Cory Bigsby, the father of missing 4-year-old Codi Bigsby, was recently arrested on child neglect charges.

News 3 obtained the arrest warrant for him, and it stated that he left his children that were younger than 6 years old home alone on multiple instances.

“Bigsby confessed to leaving the children alone for over three hours on December 13, 2021, so he could go buy a vehicle in Norfolk. The three youngest children were left home alone during this transaction. The children were left without a means or ability to communicate emergency services,” as stated on the arrest warrant.

The police received no knowledge of a babysitter that was watching the children while Cory would leave.

Cory informed a detective that the children were too much of a burden to take out with him when he leaves his home.

A similar situation occurred on January 25, just days before Codi was reported missing, according to the warrant.

The other children are "safe and thriving," according to Hampton Police Chief Mark Talbot.

Codi Bigsby
Codi Bigsby

His arrest came on the fourth day in the search for Codi. Police said he was taken to adult intake and charged with seven counts of felony child neglect, stemming from incidents that go back well over a month.

Cory has been arraigned and has a bond hearing set for Tuesday, February 8 at 10:30 a.m. He appeared in court Friday for an initial hearing.

Jeff Ambrose, Cory Bigsby's attorney, stressed that these charges are not connected to the disappearance of Codi.

Ambrose also said he was concerned because he said he was not originally able to meet with Cory Bigsby. He tried to meet with his client and was denied entry, he said.

Ambrose was then able to meet with Cory in the jail at 4 p.m. Friday. He spoke to Cory about the nature of his case, the status of ongoing search for his son and the process for what that looks like moving forward.

Ambrose asked the father point blank, "Where is Codi?" Cory said he didn't know and that he turned all he had over to detectives.

Ambrose says Cory was not at police headquarters voluntarily for four days; he says Cory asked for an attorney Monday and was denied.

Cory will reportedly ask for bond on Tuesday. Ambrose says his client is not a flight risk, has no failure to appears and is part of the community in a substantial way. He said Cory doesn't have the means to leave the area.

Chief Talbot was asked why Bigsby wasn't allowed to speak with his attorney at a press conference. He answered, "He [Cory Bigsby] was a capable man who had every opportunity to ask for an attorney. He did not make such a request. If he did make that request, we would have honored it."

Authorities have spoken to Codi's mother, and she has answered their questions.

Police said they still need the public's help with knowing Cory and Codi's last whereabouts. There has been no evidence so far that leads the investigation to believe that he was handed off to a family member.

Any information could be of value to the police. They are asking residents of the Old Buckroe neighborhood to search their properties and report anything suspicious.

If you know anything, you're asked to call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP (1-888-562-5887) or submit a tip online at or via the P3Tips app.

Father of missing 4-year-old Codi Bigsby arrested on 7 counts of child neglect, source close to investigation says

Timeline of events: