Voluntary manslaughter case against off-duty Norfolk Police officer moving forward

Preliminary hearing was held Friday
Posted at 5:32 PM, Nov 20, 2020

CHESAPEAKE, Va. – On Friday in Chesapeake General District Court, a judge ruled there was enough evidence to establish probable cause in a manslaughter case against a Norfolk Police officer who was off duty at the time of the incident.

Edmund Hoyt is charged with voluntary manslaughter in the shooting death of Kelvin White. It happened on January 19.

It all stemmed from an incident involving Hoyt’s wife when she was out walking with her children near Bainbridge Boulevard. She previously told officials that White confronted her and threatened to stab her. She called her husband, who was home at the time. He arrived, and a confrontation ensued.

Friday in court, Detective James Thomas with the Chesapeake Police Department said that Hoyt told him they went “hands-on.” He also said when questioned, Hoyt said he shot White five or six times.

During the preliminary hearing, a forensics technician testified that five bullets and six casings were found at the scene, as well as a knife.

Hoyt was either scratched or cut on the side of his face during the incident, and photos were shown of those injuries in court on Friday. His wife was not hurt.

The defendant’s attorney, James Broccoletti, told News 3 that Hoyt was defending his wife and two children, and said he feels confident Hoyt will be exonerated.

White’s family was in court and remained composed during the hearing.

“I just want to give God the glory, knowing that justice will come,” said the victim’s brother, Maurice White. “I just give everything to God, and I know everything’s going to be alright. Just keep our family in prayer.”

His brother, Gerard White, does not live in the area, but told News 3 that he’s been keeping close eye on the case for his brother and their family.

“My family have no hate toward anybody. We just want justice,” said Gerard White, who struggles to understand why his brother was killed.

The case will go to Chesapeake Circuit Court in January.